Your Work Experience and Training
About Work Experience and Training
Welcome to recording your work and voluntary experience and the training you have undertaken. Select the type, experience or training you want to record and then fill in the corresponding form.
Both of these forms are specialised subsets of the forms completed as part of your profile during registration. The Experience form is for experience while the training form is for other qualifications and training.
Hover over the field labels in the forms to view a simple guide for completing the field.
Use this form to record your experience, there are a number of fields to complete:
- Title: A title for your experience, this title will be used to fill in the list of subjects later on in the form.
- Organisation: The organisation that you had this experience with.
- Experience: Select whether this is voluntary or work experience, both of these will result in the subject field being shown.
- Subject: This field appears when you have selected voluntary or work experience. The options list shown is built from the title you entered earlier. Select the appropriate subject for your experience. The selection is used to inform the skills and knowledge gained from this experience. If you don't think you have learnt anything you can select 'none' or if you cannot find an appropriate subject then you can select 'other'. This latter will display a Subject Text field.
- Subject Text: This field appears when you select 'other' in the subject field. Enter the text of what you think that the subject of your experience was. This will be used to attempt to find appropriate skills and knowledge for your experience.
- Technology: This allows you to select multiple elements of technology that was used during your experience. Start typing your option and the list should filter to those that match. This is used to inform the technology skills that you have gained.
- From (month-year): This records when your experience started.
- To (month-year): This records when your experience completed. If left blank it is inferred that this experience is continuing.
- Description: This field enables you to record details of your experience. Normally this would be your responsibilities. In due course, this will be used to inform your learned skills and knowledge.
Your experience record is then used to inform your skills and knowledge. This is scaled in accordance with how long ago the experience was and for how long it lasted.
Use this form to record your training. It is assumed that this training is in support of the work and voluntary experience that you have recorded, often such training is following by a short test. The elements of the training record are:
- Qualification: Normally training in support of experience is accompanied by a certificate. Record the type of certificate here.
- Grade: The grade you were awarded for your training, this is normally a pass.
- Subject: The subject of the course. This is free text and will be used to search for appropriate knowledge skills associated with this training.
- Certification Body: The name of the organisation that manages the certification.
- Year: The year in which the training was taken.
This information will be used to inform the knowledge skills you have gained. It is assumed that you will be using this training as part of your ongoing experience.
This page summarises the details you entered concerning your training or experience and then summarises the skills and knowledge learnt.
For training, the learned skills are based on the subject you have entered. It is assumed that the key skills learnt during this period relates to knowledge.
For experience, the learned skills are based mainly upon the subject that you have identified as best fitting your experience. The O*Net database is then used to determine the level of skills and knowledge required for the role, the top 8 are summarised on this page. This is supplemented by the technology tools you have listed, which are used to inform your technology experience. These skills and knowledge are combined with your profile.
The zone for the role is also extracted from the O*Net database. A Zone is a group of occupations that are similar in how much education, related experience and on-the-job training people need to do the work. There are five zones, e.g. Zone 1 identifies occupations that need little or no preparation while Zone 5 identifies occupations that need extensive preparation.
You can use the buttons at the bottom of the page to return to the experience overview of your profile, to add more training and experience, to edit this experience or training, or delete it.